Red, blue and yellow are called the primary colors. Just by mixing these colors, you can get all the colors of the rainbow:
RED + YELLOW = ORANGE; RED + BLUE = PURPLE; BLUE + YELLOW = GREEN
What you need: red, blue and yellow food color; 1 cup milk; dish soap; shallow bowl
- Pour 1 cup of milk into the bowl
- Add 3 drops of red food color to one edge of the bowl
- 1/3 of the way away add 3 drops of yellow
- don't mix or jiggle the bowl
- Squeeze a drop of dish soap in the center of the bowl
- Record what you see.
- What do you think happened?